Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Easy Mango Chicken & Rice

My dear friends,

Sorry for not posting a recipe for a VERY long time. Please enjoy the following recipe:

Easy Mango Chicken and Rice
Source: Cousin Melanie of the Sisters Cafe (see for original recipe)

4-5 chicken breasts (boneless and skinless)
1 can corn, drained
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
3 cups mango salsa
Cumin to taste
Lemon Pepper to taste

I must have misread the recipe, I don't know how or why but I cooked my chicken different. This is a never-fail recipe for chicken whenever a recipe calls for cooked chicken. My sis-in-law, Camie, shared with me:

Pre-heat oven to 350. Spray a cookie sheet with Pam. I prefer frozen chicken breast. Rub olive oil over your chicken breast. Sprinkle chicken with seasoning or spice that compliments your dish, in this case, I used cumin and lemon pepper. Bake chicken for about an hour. I have this really cool meat thermometer that I use to test my chicken. When the chicken reaches about 170 I know it will be perfect. Let the chicken rest for a bit before shredding.

Add corn, beans and salsa to slow cooker and mix together. Toss in shredded chicken. More salsa can be added to taste. Cook til heated through.

Melanie suggests serving over coconut jasmine rice. Substitute coconut milk for the water when cooking the rice. Delicious, but I cannot seem to properly cook rice with coconut milk. It seems to take a REALLY long time to cook. Garnish with cilantro, if desired. Also delicious rolled up in a fresh tortilla or served as a salad with lettuce.

2 comments:

Shelly Johnson said...

It seems that your recipes have a central theme: shredded meat served in a tortilla with some kind of seasoning on it. I guess we'll be okay as long as we have tortillas around.
Gracias for el deliciouso recipeo's.
You rock you mexican mama!
I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing.

Michelle C. said...

We are part Mexican...I thought you knew that :P